Nick’s first experience of senior rugby was for Ross on Wye followed by Old Richians where he played for over 20 odd years. Nick first got involved with Old Pats when his son joined the U11’s in 2014. Responding to a request for volunteers Nick became the Club’s Safeguarding Officer in 2015.
Nick’s role includes:
- Act as the point of contact with the RFU & GRFU for all matters Safeguarding
- Ensure that the 100 hundred plus volunteers (the coaches, team managers, first aiders) are fully up to date with their DBS checking process
- Attend disciplinary hearings to ensure the welfare of the player is protected
- Arrange courses with GRFU Safeguarding Dept
- Complete GRFU Audits
- Handle any issues with players, sometimes being involved with non rugby matters
- Being available for guidance on specific matters and where we think improvements can be made we contribute
- Keeping the Club up to date with Safeguarding developments, changes and new policies
- Overall welfare of the players is our priority
Nick enjoys being involved with all the age groups and the seniors and seeing players progressing through the age groups and even on to higher levels at Hartpury and Gloucester for example.
‘’Although it sometimes feels like a full time job it’s rewarding especially working with coaches and seeing young players develop into fine teenagers and adults’’